Wednesday, October 15, 2008

24 weeks!


We hit the sixth month mark on Saturday October, 11th. It was also Mike and Amy's wedding - congratulations to the Tomaszewski's! We spent the weekend in Lake Geneva, WI, where they got married. It was such a gorgeous fall weekend and it was so nice to be out of the city where we could relax. We went to an orchard and got a pumpkin family...three sizes, one for each of us, including a "baby" pumpkin for the baby! We were also able to swim, which felt so great.

My belly continues to grow exponentially! I have a theory that it grows the most over the weekends when I have a chance to do a lot of sleeping and eating. Whereas before my uterus was below my belly button, it has moved to above my belly button. For the first time today I could feel the baby move at least 1-2 inches above my belly button...it is a weird feeling when I am used to him being so much lower! Having him way up there is making it harder to bend over. Time to move to slip-on shoes!

He is a full 12 inches now (about the length of an ear of corn) and just over a pound. I can tell he is getting a lot bigger. Before, I could mostly just feel kicks or jabs. But now I can feel rolling and twisting (and even SEE rolling and twisting), and I notice these movements a lot more frequently throughout the day as opposed to every now and again. The movements definitely have that "alien" quality everyone talks about - it's so weird to see your belly moving like that without having any control. I read that he has learned to decipher up and down, since his inner ears have formed and they control balance. That is so cool!

He is a very good boy. For the most part he sleeps at night (although two nights ago I woke up and was absolutely ravenous...I grabbed a handful of almonds...I guess he was hungry! I would NEVER have done that before my pregnancy). He even "wakes up" in the mornings with me when Joe says goodbye and rubs my belly! We had dinner with Matt and Susan Maine last night and they got him an awesome onesie that says "Chick Magnet". Perfect for this sure-to-be handsome boy!

5 comments:

rankinlm said...

Sounds like he is displaying typical Rankin traits: strength, manners, and a love of parties! In 3 months I'll be having my first date with the new love of my life. Can't wait. Love, grammy

Katie said...

Hi Mary!
I was so excited to find your blog after looking at the links on Molly's page! Congratulations on the lucky little boy growing in your belly! How exciting! I will look forward to following your pregnancy in the last 1/3.
(We are expecting #3 of our own in the next - hopefully - 2 weeks!)
Katie (Ergang) M.

James Joseph Middleton said...

Hello Katie! So good to hear from you! And congratulations on your two kids - and #3 on the way! WOW! Any day now! I am going to check out your blog right away. Can't wait to catch up!

And mom ("grammy") thanks for the nice note! I can't wait to see you, dad and the rest of the fam over Thanksgiving so you can experience his current personality. You will get a "kick" out of it I'm sure! :)

gavitren said...

Yeah!! Can't wait to see you guys at Thanksgiving!

James Joseph Middleton said...

Hi Renae! Can't wait to see you soon! Love and miss!